Monday, June 28, 2010
Allen + Roth Creative Suites Brushed Nickel Single Handle WaterSense® Bathroom Faucet
allen + roth Creative Suites Brushed Nickel WaterSense® 8" widespread Bathroom Faucet
Saturday, June 26, 2010
We're in the process of redecorating our deck and I was on the hunt for a patio set. I was ready to buy this great looking set at Walmart when I came across a post on slickdeals.net made by sunrl for the Martha Stewart Living Pacifica Collection 4 piece Chat Set @ Home Depot for $99! The set is $199 online but the price was reduced to $99 instore. If you're interested in purchasing this set, go to your local Home Depot and give them the sku# 705693. If they don't have it, they can tell you if any stores do. You can also use a Home Depot 10% off coupon or a Lowes 10% off coupon (you can find them online or at the post office in the mover's packets and Home Depot takes competitor coupons!) and this will make the price $89 + tax. Some people have had success calling the homedepot.com customer service and getting them to price match the instore price so it's worth trying if you can't find this set in store!
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Before (after pictures are at the bottom of this post):
The Remodel (and the shopping!)
So first things first, I needed to get rid of the yellow. My camera really didn't capture how truly yellow this bathroom was... if I had to name the color, I'd call it "Walmart Smiley face". Anyways, buying a can of paint would be about $25 with tax and thats 1/4 of my budget, so to save some cash I decided to check out the OOPS paint rack at my local Home Depot. I didn't have a specific color in mind so the OOPs rack was the perfect option. I found a gallon of grayish blue called Freshaire "Organic Garden" on the oops rack for $5 + tax. What made it even better was that the paint had Zero VOCs so it was an environmentally friendly bargain!
Next, I needed to replace the lighting. I was on the search for a light fixture and decided to look on my favorite site for finding bargains, http://www.slickdeals.net/. I searched the forums and found this post for a 3 pack of lights: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=184929&t=1187139 . I went to my local Lowes with the item number and they didn't have it in stock, but directed me to another store that did. The other store had it on clearance for $29.99 (and I had a 10% off coupon, making it $26.99). When I got home, I listed the other 2 lights in the pack on my local craigslist website and sold them in 2 days for $15 and $20, making the cost of the vanity light -$8.01! I installed the light myself and it was simple to do!
While searching for the light on Slickdeals, I came across this post for a clearance bathroom vanity. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=184929&t=1216249 . I went to Lowes with the item number and they directed me to another store. The other store showed that they had it in stock but couldn't find it on the shelves. After searching for a little while, they discovered that the vanity was behind some things at the very top of one shelf and had been there so long that the system marked the vanity down from $98 to $4.40+tax. Yes, you read correctly. $4.40.
I went over to the faucet section and found a faucet (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=289824-330-WL2230C) on sale for $29.00 (and I had a $5 off $25 coupon!) and a fancy shower curtain rod for $14.98. I left Lowes a very happy woman that day.
Next, I needed a mirror and accessories (towel rod, shower curtain etc). I checked many stores including Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross Dress for Less, Ikea, Target, Walmart, and K-Mart. At Kmart, I was surprised to find a chrome metal towel rod set that included a towel rod, hand towel ring, tp holder, and robe hook for $22.97 + tax. A similar set was $55 at Home Depot, so if you're on a budget check out Kmart! I lucked out and found a white waffled shower curtain on clearance at Walmart, a framed photo and Nautica towels on clearance at Ross, and a basket at Ikea. I couldn't find a mirror I liked that was in my budget so I bought one off eBay for $36.95 shipped.
With the new vanity, my husband and I soon realized that we needed to buy different pipes and water supply lines since the old ones didn't fit the vanity and were white plastic. I ran to Lowes and after some trial and error, we found the correct items and made our first attempt at plumbing. Lessons learned: When removing the old vanity, have a big bucket with you and wear big rubber gloves. The water that comes out when you disconnect the pipes looks and smells gross. Also, make sure you test for leaks over the next week. Five attempts later, no leaks!
So with the cost of plumbing materials and the mirror, I was over budget and decided to sell my old towel rod set and vanity on craigslist. Luckily, I did and I had a few buck to spend for an accessory to put over the toilet and a solution to cover the wire shelves in the corner. I made an artificial flower arrangement with stuff from the Dollar Tree and made sliding fabric panels out of an old white curtain I had. The final cost was (drumroll please) $98.87 with tax included. And the final product? Well take a look and let me know what you think! I also posted this Before/After on RateMySpace so if you're a member, rate me! :) http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Bathrooms/100-Basement-Bathroom-Remodel/detail.esi?oid=6819129
* Vanity/sink at Lowes (Item# 244057) - $4.40 + tax = $4.66
* 3 pack light set at Lowes (Item# 260005) - $29.99 - 10% off coupon = $26.99. I only needed the one light so I sold the other 2 lights on craigslist for $15 and $20, making the final cost for the light -$8.01 :)
* faucet at Lowes (Item# 289824) - on sale $29.00 - $5 off coupon +tax = $25.44
* Oval tilt Mirror at eBay (seller: esbsupply) - $24.95+ $12.00 shipping = $36.95
* Hardware set at Kmart (Towel rod, Hand towel ring, TP holder, Robe hook) - $22.97 + tax = $24.35
* Paint at Home Depot (Freshaire "Organic Garden) - Found it on the oops rack for $5.00+tax = $5.30
* Shower Curtain at Walmart = On clearance for $5.00 + tax = $5.30
* Shower Curtain Rod at Lowes - $14.98 + tax = $15.88
* Shower curtain hooks at Walmart (clearance) - $0.99 + tax = $1.05
* Art at Ross Dress for Less - $11.99 + tax = $12.71
* Nautica Towels on clearance at Ross Dress for Less (1 bath, 2 hand, 4 washcloths) - $15.33 after tax
* Vase w/ flowers @ Dollar Tree - $1 vase, $1 glass pebbles, $1 soap petal flowers (yes they're soap!!) I used wire I had to create stems and arranged them in the vase w/ the pebbles. Final cost $3 + tax = $3.18
* Basket at Ikea (Agen) - $5.99 + tax = $6.35
* Plumbing water lines, pipes, caulk, putty, tape at Lowes- $28.38
* I sold the old vanity/sink/faucet for $50 on craigslist, sold the old medicine cabinet for $10, sold the old light for for $10, sold the old hardware for $8